Job Title / Classification
Over the road driver of tractor/trailer combination (Commercial Motor Vehicle).
Drive tractor and trailer combination units (53' reefer units) and loads and delivers products. Loading and delivering commodities may require the operation of auxiliary equipment and machinery. The typical amount of weight that may have to be lifted by the driver is 50 lbs.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Drives diesel-powered tractor/trailer combination units transporting safely and efficiently all assigned shipments.
- Performs all loading and unloading procedures as required.
- Reports all service failures or delays immediately to the dispatch office.
- Reports all traffic violations and/or arrest immediately to dispatch or safety department.
- Performs inspection of vehicle as required by company policy and procedures while performing job duties.
- Complies with all regulations, rules and company policies and procedures while performing job duties.
- Makes delivery or pick-up of freight enroute, obtaining signed receipts, while collecting and signing for freight as instructed. This can include physical activity.
- Reports all accidents, property damage, regardless of the extent of damage or injury, immediately to the proper company official (Safety or dispatch).
- Contact dispatch as required.
- Keeps vehicle assigned in clean condition
- Follows company guidelines pertaining to acceptable conduct when dealing with supervisors, shop personnel, drivers and customers.
- Practices good personal hygiene projecting an image of quality and professionalism at all times.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
To be considered for employment, applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be at least 23 years of age.
- Must have 2 years of experience driving a commercial motor vehicle. Experience must include a full winter of mountain driving, including chain-up experience.
- Must possess a valid Commercial Driver's License with proper endorsements.
- Must possess a valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
- Must have a valid DOT physical.
- Maximum of 2 moving and/or safety violations in a 3-year period.
- No chargeable accidents in the last two years except under unique circumstances.
- No speed violations of 15 mph over the posted speed limit in the past three years.
- No improper lane changes or following too close during the past three years.
- No major violations in the last 5 years.
- No alcohol or drug-related convictions or deferments in the past 5 years.
- Must be physically qualified to operate a CMV as required by Title 49, CFR,391 and company policy.
- Must possess good working knowledge and operating ability of a tractor/trailer combination unit; the knowledge and ability to perform minor repairs on the road; and the knowledge and ability to maintain equipment in a good condition consistent with the company policy and local, state, and federal laws
- Must have the ability to read, write, and speak the English language sufficiently to complete all paperwork requirements established by company policy, and various laws and regulations.
- Must have the physical and mental ability to sit, stand, and remain alert while driving or while otherwise on duty for long periods of time up to 11 hours of driving.
- Must be able to operate for long periods of time a clutch and manual transmission with or without the assistance of an artificial prosthesis or other reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to perform occasional squatting, stooping, crouching, crawling, bending, twisting, climbing, reaching, lifting, and balancing as required to inspect equipment, to enter and exit vehicles.
- Must be able to enter and exit the vehicle's cab 10 times a day with entry and exit achieved with the assistance of various configurations of steps and above shoulder handholds.
- Must be able to lift and connect various hoses, fittings, and other equipment weighing up to or in excess of 75 lbs.
- Must be able to hook and unhook trailers from the tractor including the cranking lever used to raise and lower landing gear on trailers.
- Must be able to grasp, fit and properly use hand tools as required.
- Must have good work habits.
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions in the English language.
- Must be able to apply chains when weather conditions require and when chain laws are posted.
- Will spend time outside at times during inclement weather conditions.
- Subject to irregular work schedules, long trips, tight delivery schedules, and delays en route on crowded streets and highways in all kinds of weather and during day or night.
- Will spend a large percentage of time in the commercial motor vehicle and exposed to noise and vibration levels.
- May be exposed to heat, cold, dust, noise and other irritants
- Driver reports to: Dispatcher and Safety departments.
*The above information is intended to be a general guideline and does not include every rule, regulation, or company policy.